Robins on transfer radars
Swindon planning to move players on
Last Updated: June 16, 2012 5:55pm
Paolo Di Canio: Looking to piece together a squad that can challenge in League One
Swindon Town chairman Jeremy Wray claims the club have received plenty of interest in those they are looking to move on this summer.
The Robins, who will be turning out in League One next season after claiming the fourth tier title in 2011/12, have transfer listed a number of players deemed surplus to requirements.
Wray has refused to reveal the identity of those involved, or that of the clubs to have made tentative approaches for their services, but he is expecting there to be plenty of movement at the County Ground over the coming months.
He told the Swindon Advertiser: "We've had interest in a number of players. We've made it known that there are other players potentially, who are at the club under contract, that may be available if we get offers in for them or if they think it's right for them to move on.
"That has inevitably led to enquiries for certainly three or four players so far and we're just waiting and we'll see what we do with then, but things will happen.
"Common sense says if seven or eight are coming in then we're not going to have too large a squad, so a number will be going out."
Wray, along with Robins boss Paolo Di Canio, is reluctant to have any squad players on the club's books, with it important that those who form part of their plans in 2012/13 are ready to step in when required.
He said: "I think you're looking at a core of a team from last season that is in place, but it is a squad game and what you've got to make sure is that the people you bring in that are part of the squad are not just numbers that sit there and are numbers on the back of a programme or come on once in a while, when you're 5-0 up.
"They need to be key people who can play a part, so the strength will be in depth to the point where Paolo's genuinely got 17 or 18 players he feels are of a standard that could get us to the Championship."