Smart move for Crewe
By Rob Lancaster
Last Updated: 01/01/70 1:00am
The striker had originally turned down a month-to-month contract from The Railwaymen as he had been offered a one-year deal by The Tykes.
Barnsley then told the ex-Oldham man they could not sign him because of the difficult financial position the club was in.
Smart then telephoned Crewe boss Dario Gradi who had no hesitation in bringing the player to Gresty Road.
"Allan asked me if he could come back here and I said of course he could. He is still the same lad and nothing has changed," Gradi told the club's website.
"If I was in his situation and Crewe offered me a month and then Barnsley offered me a year, I would have done exactly the same as he did."
The 29-year old could now be in contention for Saturday's game against Ipswich Town if Crewe receive international clearance in time .
Crewe have also admitted defeat in their attempts to sign Stockport left-back Anthony Tonkin after County chief Carlton Palmer rejected an offer for the player.
Gradi added: "There is nothing new with Anthony Tonkin and I think we have gone as far as we can with that one."
|Click here and you could win Sky FREE for a year!!|