Aberdeen are set to reopen talks regarding Tim Bakens' proposed move to Pittodrie.
The defender has recently been released by Dutch club RKC Waalwijk and the Dons remain his preferred destination for next season.
The 25-year-old turned down an approach from Eredivisie side Volendam last week in the hope that Aberdeen would be in touch, but is growing concerned at the lack of activity being shown by the Scots.
However, with the Dons now back in pre-season training, manager Jimmy Calderwood admitted that he will be stepping up his hunt for new faces in the coming weeks.
"I spoke to the player on Sunday and I will speak to the agent," he told the Press and Journal.
"There are a few things which we need to look at and once we have decided exactly which positions we are going to go for, we'll talk again.
"He played on the left side of central defence with his team this season, so we'll see.
"I would have liked to have more in by now but overall, outside the very big clubs, there has not been a lot happening.
"It has been difficult getting in touch with players, agents and other managers.
"We definitely have three more positions, maybe four, to fill and we will have to see how the financial packages are looking before progressing. A lot of people are starting back over the next week, so things will get going again.
"If we have to wait to August then so be it, but we have got a few targets who, hopefully, we can get in quickly."
Calderwood also revealed that Leicester defender Alan Maybury remains a major target, but conceded that he may miss out on the Republic of Ireland international as the player is still under contract with the Foxes.
"The problem with Alan is he is still under contract at Leicester and he will be until the end of July," he said.
"I don't think he will rip up his contract there just yet."