Trial trauma for Ferdinand

Hughes hails defender's reaction to court experience

Anton Ferdinand: Away with QPR on a pre-season tour of Asia

Queens Park Rangers boss Mark Hughes claims Anton Ferdinand has 'reacted well' to the 'traumatic experience' of finding himself at the centre of the John Terry race trial.

Terry was found not guilty on Friday of a racially aggravated public order offence.

With proceedings in court having been brought to a close, QPR defender Ferdinand has turned his attention back to football matters.

He has formed part of Hughes' squad for a pre-season tour of Asia.

Committed

Ferdinand and Terry could still face disciplinary action from the Football Association for bringing the game into disrepute, with both admitting in court to having verbally abused each other several times.

Hughes, though, believes his 27-year-old defender has dealt with a testing experience admirably and is pleased to see him back out on a football field.

Speaking from Malaysian city Kota Kinablu, where QPR will play an exhibition game on Tuesday, Hughes said: "Anton gave his side of what happened in court and it was certainly a traumatic experience for him.

"So far he has reacted well and is committed to the Asian tour, where we have three friendly matches to play."

Influence

Meanwhile, in the wake of the Ferdinand-Terry trial, Culture, Media and Sport Secretary Jeremy Hunt has claimed that swearing on the football pitch has 'gone too far' and has called on the sport's authorities to do more to tackle it.

He said: "I do know a little bit about this because I'm a qualified football referee. I've been at the receiving end of it and I do think that it has gone too far.

"I would like to see the football authorities do more because I think we just have to recognise that football has huge influence on thousands and thousands of young people and we do need footballers to set an example."

Related Profiles