Mark Hughes claims Queens Park Rangers snubbed a Premier League proposal for a guard of honour to be formed ahead of their trip to Chelsea on Sunday.
The decision to do away with the pre-match handshakes at Stamford Bridge has already been taken, with Blues skipper John Terry awaiting trial for alleged racist comments aimed in the direction of QPR defender Anton Ferdinand during the reverse fixture at Loftus Road in October.
Alternatives to handshakes have been offered up, with it suggested that the away side could applaud their opponents onto the field.
Hughes, though, has rubbished that idea and is surprised that the Premier League considered it to be a possibility.
He said: "They were looking for solutions for the game at the weekend and the Premier League were throwing things out there and said at one point that one alternative would be to form a guard of honour and clap Chelsea onto the pitch, and I'm thinking there is absolutely no chance of that happening.
"But that is where we were getting to, there were discussions going on, that was the one that pricked my ears up. That is the only one I was told, so there you go."
The Premier League later denied the suggestion had been made, with a Premier League spokesman saying: "It was never under consideration. The board would never have suggested or agreed to it."
Hughes believes the league should look at whether the handshake ritual should exist at all going forward.
"It needs to be on the agenda," he said.
"The Premier League need to clarify their position on it and make sure it is there for the right reasons. I said that last time you have to understand the thinking behind it - it is all very credible and a good idea to have that put forward but the reality of it means it can sometimes be compromised.
"Unfortunately, it is becoming a negative and, if it continues to be, it has to be stopped. I think sometimes it is an irritation - I don't think there is any real desire to do it."
What will be the outcome in the match Chelsea vs QPR?