Stewart injury blow hits Foxes
By Peter O`Rourke
Last Updated: 01/01/70 1:00am
The 19-year-old sustained a dislocated shoulder during last Wednesday's defeat at Liverpool, and tests have revealed that the injury is worse than first feared.
The youngster has been told that he needs to undergo surgery which will sideline him for the rest of the campaign.
Stewart joins the ever growing injury list at Filbert Street with long-term casualties Gerry Taggart, Gary Rowett, Darren Eadie, Dennis Wise, and Matthew Jones all missing at present.
It is another blow to The Foxes` hopes of avoiding the drop and boss Dave Bassett admitted he has never experienced an injury crisis like it in his time in management.
"Jordan went to see a specialist and he needs an operation in the next week or so and that means he will miss the rest of the season," said Bassett.
"It is just another setback and they seem to be happening match after match. I have never known an injury crisis as severe as this in all my 20-odd years as a football manager.
"It is a big enough battle to try and get out of the relegation zone without getting blow after blow.
"But we will just have to battle on with what we have got and if we show the same sort of performance and commitment as against Chelsea then we still have a chance."
Bassett also revealed that Ade Akinbiyi could still be on his way out of Filbert Street, saying a possible move to Crystal Palace was "not dead".
Palace are keen to sign the much-maligned striker to boost their promotion hopes, but no move is imminent.
The Nigerian, who has only scored two league goals all season, turned down the chance to rejoin Wolves earlier in the campaign and Bassett admitted he was unsure of the outcome of Palace's interest.
"It is still in the pipeline but I don't know how it will work out," said Bassett. "It's not dead but if it happens, it happens. We're no further forward than that at present."
Meanwhile, City midfielder Muzzy Izzet has been recalled by Turkey for the international friendly with Ecuador later this month.
Izzet, who is still on the transfer list at Filbert Street, has not been selected in a Turkey squad since the World Cup qualifier against Azerbaijan in October 2000.