Division Two round-up

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

QPR beat Plymouth Argyle in a top of the table clash at Loftus Road to send themselves three points clear at the pinnacle of Division Two.

Ian Holloway's men took the lead through Kevin Gallen with 33 minutes on the clock, and second half goals from Tony Thorpe and Gallen again made sure of all three points for the West Londoners.

Barnsley made home advantage tell with a 2-0 win over Tranmere Rovers at Oakwell that sees them move into second place.

Front man Isaiah Rankin scored on 24 minutes to put The Tykes 1-0 up, before Dean Gorre doubled the lead from with a penalty on 64 minutes.

Bristol City secured a more than impressive 4-1 away win over Brighton at The Withdean with three of their goals coming in the first half.

Luke Wilkshire scored the first for the visitors before Lee Miller doubled the advantage on 33 minutes.

Aaron Brown made it three before Brighton finally sparked into life when Leon Knight reduced the arrears at half-time to 3-1 from the penalty spot.

Matthew Hill put the finishing touches on the rout for the West Country side, with a goal five minutes from time.

Barry Fry's Peterborough won on their travels with a win over Bournemouth.

Leon McKenzie opened the scoring after just seven minutes and Posh doubled their lead 13 minutes later through Curtis Woodhouse.

Warren Feeney set up a nervous ending for Peterborough with a goal for the home side, but Posh held on for maximum points.

Colchester United kept themselves in the play-off picture with a 3-1 win over Sheffield Wednesday at Layer Road.

The Owls' defence was first to be breached when Scott McGleish scored just before the half-hour mark but Wednesday pulled level through a Leigh Bromby effort early in the second half.

The points looked as if they were going to be shared until nine minutes from full-time and Wayne Andrews and then Craig Fagan popped up with the goals to earn all victory for the Essex-based side.

Luton Town came from two-nil down to beat Denis Smith's Wrexham 3-2 at Kenilworth Road.

Hector Sam's goal on 19 minutes and an Emmerson Boyce own goal gave The Dragons a two-goal cushion but Adrian Forbes pulled one back for Mike Newell's men on 45.

The Hatters found themselves level seven minutes into the restart when Steve Robinson scored and then made their comeback complete when Lee Mansell netted the winner on 58 minutes.

To make matters worse for the Welsh side, Darren Ferguson was sent-off with just over ten minutes remaining.

Port Vale secured a nervous 1-0 win over strugglers Notts County.

After a first half stalemate, Stephen McPhee put Vale ahead on 56 minutes with a goal which proved to be enough for the Vale Park outfit.

Last season's Division Three runners up Hartlepool United got revenge on the team that pipped them to the championship, Rushden & Diamonds, by beating them 2-1 at Victoria Park.

Hartlepool took the lead through Gavin Strachan who converted a penalty four minutes before the interval.

Rodney Jack put Brian Talbot's men back in the match with a goal 12 minutes into the second half, but they then had Jamaican star Paul Hall red-carded for a second booking with 20 minutes left to play.

The game looked to be heading for a draw until 17-year-old debutant Jack Wilkinson hit the winner for Pool to secure all three points for Neale Cooper's men.

Swindon Town made a winning trip to Boundary Park to turn over Oldham 1-0.

Swindon made things harder for themselves when Matty Heywood was sent off with just ten minutes on the clock for a professional foul.

However, the ten-man Wiltshire side took the lead on the hour mark through striker Sam Parkin which proved to be enough to win the match.

Jay Tabb denied Tony Adams's Wycombe side a much-needed point with a goal right at the death to win the game for Brentford 2-1.

Adams saw his leaky defence once again breached 15 minutes before half-time when Eddie Hutchinson netted.

The Second Division side's rock bottom club did show second-half spirit though and found an equaliser through Jermaine McSporran on 65 minutes but The Chairboys had their hearts broken when Tabb scored after coming off the substitute's bench with five minutes remaining.

Stockport looked to have beaten Grimsby Town through Robert Clare's effort on 67 minutes but The Mariners had Darren Mansaram to thank for his equaliser on 72 minutes to earn a point.

Blackpool put the boot in on lowly Chesterfield with a winner from Scott Taylor on 41 minutes to keep the Saltergate outfit second from bottom.


Division Two results:
Barnsley 2-0 Tranmere
Blackpool 1-0 Chesterfield
Bournemouth 1-2 Peterborough
Brighton 1-4 Bristol City
Colchester 3-1 Sheffield Wednesday
Grimsby 1-1 Stockport
Hartlepool 2-1 Rushden & Diamonds
Luton 3-2 Wrexham
Oldham 0-1 Swindon
Port Vale 1-0 Notts County
QPR 3-0 Plymouth
Wycombe 1-2 Brentford