Valiants stay top despite draw

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

PORT VALE clung onto the top spot in Division Two, despite being held to a 1-1 draw by Wycombe, with Swindon Town jumping up to second place courtesy of a victory against Peterborough.

Vale had taken the lead against Wycombe through Stephen McPhee, but a goal from Charlie Mapes earned The Chairboys a 1-1 draw.

Brighton could not break the deadlock on their travels to Hartlepool, missing out on the chance of going top, and Queens Park Rangers also only managed a draw - Bristol City's Lee Miller cancelling out a Gino Padula goal to make the game 1-1.

This allowed Swindon to leap into second, courtesy of a 2-0 win against Peterborough.

Swindon left it late - but an 84th minute strike from Sam Parkin, and a second from loan-star James Milner handed them three points.

Plymouth jump into fifth place with a 2-0 win against Barnsley. Graham Coughlan and Micky Evans scored in each half to give Argyle a fine victory.

Blackpool's good week continued, with The Seasiders following up from their Carling Cup success on Tuesday with a 2-1 victory over Notts County.

Mark Stallard had cancelled out Keith Southern's opener from the penalty spot, but Neil Danns grabbed the eventual winner for Blackpool two minutes before the break.

Brentford picked up a 2-1 win at Chesterfield - Stephen Hunt and Tommy Wright on the scoresheet for The Bees, and Steven Payne converting a penalty for Chesterfield.

Colchester grabbed a 1-0 win against Bournemouth courtesy of a goal from Karl Duguid, whilst Oldham were convincing in a 3-0 victory over Luton.

John Sheridan, Calvin Zola and Dean Holden all grabbed goals for The Latics, to the delight of the home supporters.

Stuart Barlow put Stockport ahead twice at Rushden & Diamonds, but goals from Stuart Gray and a late strike from Andy Edwards earned the home side a 2-2 draw.

Sheffield Wednesday were unable to break down Grimsby at Hillsborough in a 0-0 draw, with The Mariners defending well.

Tranmere Rovers are still without a win since the opening day of the season after Wrexham came from behind at Prenton Park to inflict a 2-1 defeat on The Merseysiders.

Ray Mathias's team started brightly and took the lead after 19 minutes when Gareth Roberts's cross was converted by Simon Haworth.

However, the home side were hit by a two-minute blitz which saw Wrexham score twice.

The equaliser came on 63 minutes when Lee Jones converted after good work from Shaun Holmes - who then grabbed the winner.

Just two minutes after Jones's effort, the Irish defender unleashed an unstoppable 30-yard effort which fizzed past John Achterberg in the home goal.

Click below for match summaries:
Blackpool v Notts County
Chesterfield v Brentford
Colchester United v Bournemouth
Hartlepool United v Brighton & Hove Albion 
Oldham Athletic v Luton Town 
Plymouth Argyle v Barnsley
Port Vale v Wycombe Wanderers 
Queens Park Rangers v Bristol City
Rushden & Diamonds v Stockport County 
Sheffield Wednesday v Grimsby Town 
Swindon Town v Peterborough United 
Tranmere Rovers v Wrexham 

Click here for Division Two table