Alonso boost for Trotters

Spanish star ready to return

Marcos Alonso: On his way back to fitness after suffering a broken foot

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

Bolton Wanderers have been boosted by the news that Spaniard Marcos Alonso has stepped up his comeback.

The 20-year-old broke his foot against Macclesfield in August, but he has now been given the all-clear after a scan earlier this week.

Alonso is now set to make an appearance for Bolton's reserves before challenging for a first-team place.

"I am doing all I can to get back as soon as possible," he said.

"The scan came out all clear and the doctor said I am making really good progress.

"I have started running now and hopefully I will be back in full training with the squad in one to two weeks."

Alonso has thanked the number of Wanderers fans who have given him backing during his lay-off.

"I have had a lot of messages of support on Twitter, which is great," he said.

"We have great fans and I am itching to get back playing to help the team. It is a local derby on Saturday against Wigan and it could be the game to kick-start our season."

Ricketts

Meanwhile, Bolton boss Owen Coyle has confirmed that Sam Ricketts is closing on a return after he ruptured his Achilles in February.

"Sam is getting closer and it will be great to see him back with us after what was a really bad injury," he said.

"But at this stage, it's one that we must be very careful with. There is no sense rushing him before he is completely ready."