Dwight Yorke appears on the verge of completing his move to Sunderland after his current club, Sydney FC, announced they had agreed an undisclosed fee with The Black Cats for the former Manchester United striker.
The 34-year-old has been strongly tipped for a return to England under former team-mate Roy Keane at The Stadium of Light
Yorke was expected to seal his switch to Sunderland before the transfer window shuts on Thursday and the deal now looks imminent.
Sydney FC chairman Walter Bugno has confirmed they have allowed Yorke to continue his career with the Championship outfit and has already begun the search for the Trinidadian's replacement.
"Dwight Yorke has made an unbelievable contribution to Sydney FC and Australian football and we wish him nothing but luck in his new endeavours with Sunderland," Bugno told the club's official website.
"We will set out to find another player who can contribute as much to the game as Dwight has since he arrived last year."
Sydney FC coach Terry Butcher admitted he was sad to see Yorke leave but praised the Trinidad & Tobago international's impact during his time at the club.
"It's sad to see Dwight leave," Butcher said. "He is a great player and a tremendous personality to have in the team and he has worked very hard since I came to Sydney to be in shape to play.
"He has great respect amongst the players and coaching staff and he will be missed."
Yorke will become Keane's first signing as Sunderland manager and is expected to agree a two-year deal.
Meanwhile, Sunderland have had a bid for Richard Stearman rejected by Leicester City.
Foxes boss Rob Kelly is keen to keep hold of the England Under-21 defender as the club look to push from promotion to The Premiership this season.
"In Richard we believe we have one of the very best young players in this country," Kelly told the club's official website.
"We are in the business of building and developing a squad of players here to bring future success to this football club."