Owen Coyle says he is determined to lead Wigan back to the Premier League after signing a deal to replace Roberto Martinez as manager.
Coyle, who has been out of work since he was sacked by Bolton in October, has signed a rolling 12-month contract understood to include bonus incentives should he secure promotion at the first attempt.
Formalities are expected to be completed on Monday but the 46-year-old, who guided Burnley to the top flight in 2009, told Sky Sports News he is ready for the challenge.
"I think everyone recognises that Wigan are a fantastic club led by a superb chairman and they obviously want to get back to the Premier League," Coyle said.
"It was a blow to lose their Premier League status last year but we've got to do is take them back as quickly as possible.
"There's no doubt that I'm ready (to come back into the game).
"I've been there, I've done it and I'm looking forward to trying to get Wigan back to the Premier League and hopefully that's at the first opportunity."
Coyle faces a battle to keep key men like Arouna Kone, Callum McManaman and James McCarthy at the club but said he was determined to add to an existing pool of talent.
"There's a load of talented players here and that's something I found exciting about the opportunity," he added.
"You always want to keep your best players. The chairman has always said that if the right offer comes in Wigan Athletic will never stand in their way but, perosnally, I would want to keep them. We'll see what the next couple of months bring.
"There's no doubt it's a talented squad but what we've got to do is add to that squad. It'll be a busy summer."