Blackpool shock Birmingham

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

BLACKPOOL provided a major giant-killing act in the Carling Cup, with Scott Taylor's goal condemning an under-strength Birmingham City side to a 1-0 defeat.

Steve McMahon's side defended superbly as Blues piled on pressure in the second half, but the Premiership side could not get the breakthrough they needed.

Stephen Clemence summed up the night for manager Steve Bruce when he blazed a somewhat controversial penalty for Birmingham high and wide.

Wigan also knocked out a Premiership side, with the Division One leaders good value for their 1-0 victory over Fulham.

Athletic have Premiership aspirations, and they showed great quality in a game that saw Nathan Ellington grab the only goal on 73.

Charlton needed penalties to see off Luton after the match had ended 3-3 after normal time and 4-4 at the end of extra-time.

Kevin Foley and Dave Bayliss had Luton cruising but Alan Curbishley's Addicks fought back to level through Scott Parker and Kevin Lisbie.

Gary McSheffery netted what he thought was the winner for Luton on 76 minutes, but Paolo Di Canio converted in the dying seconds to level the encounter.

Claus Jensen and Chris Coyne exchanged goals in extra-time, but the match went into penalties.

Goals reigned in before Dean Kiely made a vital save from Coyne to hand The Addicks an 8-7 win.

Nottingham Forest are also through, but only penalties could separate them from Tranmere Rovers.

Aston Villa proved far too strong for Wycombe, with Juan Pablo Angel scoring a hat-trick in a 5-0 romp.

The Colombian was scintillating for Villa, and his three goals were sandwiched by a Darius Vassell penalty and Peter Whittingham's opener.

Huddersfield picked up a fine 4-2 victory over Sunderland, with the Division Two side scoring just two minutes in courtesy of a Tony Carss free-kick.

Jon Stead doubled the advantage, before Kevin Kyle got Sunderland back in the game on 25.

However, goals from Andy Holdsworth and Andy Booth gave Huddersfield the upper hand, and they go through despite a late second from Kyle.

Leicester left it late against Crewe, but a Paul Dickov penalty on 82 sent The Foxes through.

Burnley eased through into the third round with a 3-2 victory at Scunthorpe.

The Clarets have put in some fine displays this season, but have looked poor defensively, and allowed the Division Three side to pile on the pressure.

Luke Chadwick scored his third goal in two games after 22 minutes, only for The Iron to level through Steven McLean.

A goal on the stroke of half time by Robbie Blake put Burnley back ahead and, when Ian Moore added a third The Clarets appeared to be easing to victory.

However, after Gareth Farrelly hit the bar, Scunthorpe veteran Peter Beagrie gave his side hope with a free-kick through the wall.

Beagrie continued to threaten, but it was too late for Scunthorpe and Burnley earned the win.

West Ham United came from two goals behind to defeat Cardiff, with Jermain Defoe grabbing a brilliant hat-trick.

Robert Earnshaw had scored twice to put The Irons in real trouble - his second a brilliant curler.

However, Defoe grabbed his opener from the penalty spot and added a second before a stunning late third (pictured) gave West Ham the win.

Queens Park Rangers provided another shock with a 2-0 win against First Division Sheffield United - with a Martin Rowlands brace knocking out last season's semi-finalists.

Gillingham knocked out Stoke, courtesy of goals from Mark Saunders and Marlon King, with City reduced to ten men after the sending off of Marcus Hall.

Premiership Wolves were made to work hard against Darlington, but goals from Alex Rae and Joey Gudjonnson put them through to the next round with a 2-0 win.

West Brom had to come from behind to defeat Hartlepool, but the Division One side finally showed their class despite a penalty opener from Pool, converted by Paul Robinson.

Second half goals from Neil Clement and Rob Hulse wrapped up a victory for The Baggies.

Rotherham put their bad run behind them with a 1-0 victory over Colchester - Christopher Sedgwick grabbing a winner for The Millers.

Portsmouth were simply too good for Northampton and braces from Tim Sherwood and Jason Roberts, added to by a goal Matthew Taylor wrapped up a 5-2 win.

The Cobblers' two came from Chris Hargreaves and Lawrie Dudfield.

Crystal Palace were forced to cling on at times against Doncaster Rovers, but emerged with a 2-1 win.

A brace of Andy Johnson penalties had established a two-goal cushion, but a Greg Blundell goal put pressure on the Division One side.

Ipswich bowed out to Notts County, with all three goals of a 2-1 win coming in the opening ten minutes.

A goal each for Simon Baldry and Pablo Counago in the first six minutes, was added to four minutes later by the eventual winner from Mark Stallard.

Lee Miller's extra-time goal gave Bristol City a narrow 1-0 win over Watford.