Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

ROTHERHAM got off the mark in the First Division as they grabbed a share of the spoils from a 1-1 draw against Sheffield United in a keenly contested South Yorkshire derby at Millmoor.

In the first of many all-Yorkshire clashes to come this season, Ronnie Moore's newcomers had the run of the game in the first half and grabbed a deserved lead through former Blade Rob Scott.

The Blades bounced back in the second half and a Laurent D'Jaffo penalty eventually gave them a point, although Neil Warnock's side could have had more with the chances they created in the later stages of the match, with Rotherham's defence hanging on for a point.

The game started like a typical derby game with neither side being allowed to dwell on the ball for too long and plenty of challenges flying in.

After conceding six goals in their first two games, Ronnie Moore's side looked to have tightened up at the back and did not take any chances, clearing any danger quickly.

Rotherham had the better of the opening exchanges forcing numerous early corners while Neil Warnock's side looked out of sorts and showed the sort of form away from Bramall Lane that destroyed any chances of making last season's play-offs.

The breakthrough came in the 23rd minute for the home side from a corner that need not have been conceded by Shaun Murphy.

Chris Swailes arrived unmarked to hit a crisp volley that smacked the crossbar and looped up for Scott who lobbed Tracey to send the Millmoor fans wild.

Tracey made a brave save five minutes later to deny Swailes his second by diving at his fight as he arrived at the far post from Mark Robins' deflected shot.

The Blades could have struck back just two minutes after the break when some good work from Paul Devlin saw his cross float over the stranded Mike Pollitt and just inches wide of the post with George Santos unable to connect when ghosting in at the far post.

The introduction of substitute Peter Ndlovu for George Santos livened up the visitors and his ability to hold the ball up troubled The Millers defence and brought United back into the game.

Ndlovu could have made an immediate impact on the game when he missed a golden opportunity to level the scores when he shot woefully wide from a good position in the box.

The Blades had most of the play and finally drew level in the 65th minute when Martin McIntosh handled the ball inside the box after a typical twisting run from Ndlovu.

Laurent D'Jaffo, whose last-gasp winner sent United through in the Worthington Cup on Monday, stepped up to convert the penalty and make it 1-1.

Ndlovu was making all the difference and tested Pollitt with a powerful thirty-yard drive ten minutes later after another pacy run.

The visitors controlled the game after the equaliser and substitute Paul Peschisolido's arrival gave them even more invention and fire-power upfront. He could have given his side the lead with a good run and shot that Pollitt did well to hold.

Pollitt was beaten, however, by Rob Kozluck's powerful left-foot drive that dipped just over the bar from all of thirty yards.

The fourth minute of stoppage time saw the last, and best, chance for United to grab all three points when another good run from Devlin produced a good cross met by Peschisolido, whose header beat Pollitt only to strike the upright and rebound into the grateful keeper arms.

The Millers' tiring defence hung on until the final whistle blew moments later to bring Rotherham their first point in Division One, and leave The Blades still searching for their first win of the season after three consecutive draws.

For match summary, Click here
For Division One league table, click here.