Latics make it nine straight

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

WIGAN secured their ninth consecutive league victory in the Second Division following a comfortable 3-1 win over Notts County at the JJB Stadium.

Their result was made even more significant following Bristol City's surprising slip-up at the hands of Wycombe Wanderers at Adams Park.

After a slow start Tony Dinning (pictured) fired the division leaders into the lead on the stroke of half-time before Jason De Vos made sure of the points with a second just before the hour mark.

Andy Liddell capped an impressive win for Paul Jewell's men with a late third, before Mark Stallard netted the visitors a late consolation.

In-form Bristol City lost ground on the Lancashire side after goals by Roger Johnson and Steve Brown earned Wycombe all three points against The Robins.

Veteran midfielder Brian Tinnion did pull a goal back for the visitors after 87 minutes from the penalty spot, but it proved nothing more than a consolation.

Wigan's day was made even better when Cardiff dropped two points at home to Swindon, but it could have been much worse for The Bluebirds.

Sam Parkin fired the visitors ahead on 70 minutes, and it took until just one minute from the end for star striker Robert Ernshaw to rescue a late draw for the Welsh outfit.

Oldham made up ground on Cardiff and Bristol City after securing a 2-1 away win over Tranmere Rovers.

David Eyres fired The Latics into the lead from the penalty spot on 37 minutes scoring his ninth of the season.

Simon Howarth levelled the contest for Rovers on the hour mark, however Julian Baudet sealed Oldham's win with a late goal.

Crewe continued their good run of form with a 2-0 home win over 10-man Mansfield at Gresty Road.

Dave Walton fired The Alex ahead, before The Stags top-scorer Iysden Christie was dismissed for picking up his second yellow card.

The victory was completed when John Miles beat Kevin Pilkington with virtually the last shot of the game, keeping the side fifth in the table.

Peterborough's efforts to climb away from the relegation zone suffered a blow after losing at home 2-0 to Queens Park Rangers.

Clarke Carlisle, just before half-time, and Richard Langley on 79 minutes scored the goals for the West London side.

Cheltenham remain alongside Peterborough after slipping to a 3-1 defeat against Plymouth in their first-ever visit to home park.

The Robins actually took the lead on 13 minutes when David Worrell fired into his own net, however Martin Phillips restored parity with a goal on 22 minutes.

Ian Stonebridge put the home side into the lead for the first time after 35 minutes, before David Norris sealed the victory with a goal eight minutes after the break.

Elsewhere, substitute John Hills earned Blackpool a share of the spoils at home to Huddersfield, after he equalised in the last minute from the penalty spot following Kevin Sharp's challenge on Richard Walker.

Just fifteen minutes earlier Andy Booth had thought he had nicked all three points for the visitors with a goal on 75 minutes beating keeper Phillip Barnes with a well-struck shot.

Northampton boosted their survival prospects with a come-from-behind 2-1 win over Barnsley at Oakwell.

Chris Lumsdon fired The Tykes ahead on 24 minutes, with his first goal since August, however he was to have the ball in the net just 20 minutes later.

However, this time it was for the visitors with an own goal just before the break. The second half produced just one goal with Darryn Stamp sealing the points for Northampton.

Joe Kinnear's in-form side suffered a set-back following a 2-1 defeat against Chesterfield at Saltergate.

Ahmet Brkovic put The Hatters in front on eight minutes, however two goals in four minutes finished off the visitors in the second half.

Glynn Hurst equalised for the home side with a goal on 55 minutes, and just moments later Chris Brandon secured maximum points for The Spireites.

Stockport County failed to take advantage of an extra man as Port Vale came from a goal down to earn a 1-1 draw at Edgeley Park.   

Ben Burgess netted from the penalty spot on 31 minutes, after Steve Rowland was dismissed for a deliberate hand-ball in the penalty area.

However, despite being down to ten-men for the majority of the contest, Stephen Brooker sealed an unlikely draw with a late equaliser after 71 minutes.

Click here for Division Two match stats:
Barnsley 1 Northampton 2
Blackpool 1 Huddersfield 1
Brentford P Colchester P
Cardiff 1 Swindon 1
Chesterfield 2 Luton 1
Crewe 2 Mansfield 0
Peterborough 0 QPR 2
Plymouth 3 Cheltenham 1
Stockport 1 Port Vale 1
Tranmere 1 Oldham 2
Wigan 3 Notts County 1
Wycombe 2 Bristol City 1

Click here for an update Division Two league table