Fulham in Reds complaint
Premier League to investigate Liverpool interest in Dempsey
Last Updated: August 23, 2012 6:22pm
Clint Dempsey: Fulham forward is no longer committed to the club after Liverpool went public about enquiry
Fulham have made a formal complaint to the Premier League over Liverpool's pursuit of Clint Dempsey.
The Cottagers are believed to have taken exception to Reds boss Brendan Rodgers revealing in July that Liverpool had made an enquiry about buying the 29-year-old forward.
Rodgers' comments followed an embarrassing incident in which a website run by the club's owners Fenway Sports Group published a story claiming Dempsey was already a Liverpool player.
Asked about the story last month, Rodgers said: "Clint is a player we've enquired about, it is as simple as that.
"Ian Ayre, our managing director, has spoken with the club to see what the position is. That is where we're at. He's a very talented player but we don't like to talk about other clubs' players."
Fulham appear to believe Rodgers' actions have led to a situation whereby the USA international has refused to play for the west London club as he hopes to engineer a move to Anfield.
But manager Martin Jol claimed last week that no formal offer had been received - leaving club and player in limbo.
"[Dempsey] told me 'you know what I want to happen' and at that time it was to go to Liverpool," said Jol.
"I told our people that we had to listen to other clubs, but there was no other club. There have been no firm offers for Clint.
"Clint feels he needs a move and that move was probably Liverpool, but Liverpool bought new players and no Clint, so we have ended up with a situation with Clint here at Fulham, but he is not committed to the club."
The Premier League is still investigating the complaint, according to a statement released on Thursday.
"The Premier League has received a complaint from Fulham regarding certain comments made by Liverpool officials and is currently looking into the matter," read the statement.