Zakuani sees Orient future
By Simon Fudge. Last Updated: January 1, 1970 1:00am
Leyton Orient defender Gabriel Zakuani believes he will be starting the new season with the League One club.
The 20-year-old has been the subject of interest from Premiership side Fulham this close season, having impressed the West London club during last season's FA Cup meeting back in January.
The Democratic Republic of Congo international is under contract to The O's until the summer of 2008, with Orient chairman Barry Hearn claiming it would take a seven-figure sum to see Zakuani walk out the Brisbane Road exit door.
Despite talks between both clubs regarding the young defender, Zakuani thinks he will be with Martin Ling's side when the new season begins in August.
"Of course it is flattering to be linked with a Premiership club like Fulham because it shows I must be doing something right," Zakuani told the East London & West Essex Guardian.
"I know that they have made an enquiry about me, but not too much has been said since, so at the moment it looks like I will be staying at Orient.
"I've never taken anything for granted, despite all the rumours because there have been a lot of them over the last year linking me with people, and as I've said before, until anything concrete actually happens, I'm a Leyton Orient player.
"Of course I want to play at a higher level because I'm ambitious, but Orient have been good to me and having just been promoted, I've certainly got no problems starting next season here.
"I'm still contracted to the club and I am also very happy."