Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez has apologised "sincerely and unreservedly" for his conduct in recent months.
The Argentinian has also withdrawn his appeal against City's fine of six weeks' wages for gross misconduct, which was due to be heard by the Premier League in the coming days.
Tevez sparked a dispute with the club when he refused to warm up during the UEFA Champions League loss at Bayern Munich in September and then spent more than three months in Argentina without permission.
The 28-year-old reported back to the club last week after failing to secure a move during the January transfer window and says he now wants to fight for a place in the team.
Manager Roberto Mancini had long maintained he would only consider Tevez for selection again after an apology.
Sincerely & Unreservedly
In a statement released by City, Tevez said: "I wish to apologise sincerely and unreservedly to everybody I have let down and to whom my actions over the last few months have caused offence.
"My wish is to concentrate on playing football for Manchester City Football Club."
Tevez was given his own fitness programme when he reported back to the club's Carrington training headquarters last week.
He had said he could be match fit in two weeks but it remains to be seen how quickly he can get himself back into first-team contention.
Tevez has not been selected for a City squad since refusing to resume his warm up in their Champions League clash against Bayern Munich.
Mancini initially said the player was "finished" at the club as a result of his conduct on the bench.
Tevez was suspended and later fined for misconduct before he flew back to South America to begin his unauthorised leave on 7th November.
While away, Tevez was found guilty of gross misconduct and City took a firm line over his potential sale.
AC Milan, Inter Milan and Paris St Germain all expressed interest in signing Tevez but City refused to sell below their valuation, believed to be around £25million, or consider loaning him out.
Tevez, who had twice previously submitted transfer requests, also saw a potential move to Corinthians collapse last summer and was estimated to have lost £9.3million in wages or bonuses over various matters.
He failed in his initial appeal against the fine of six weeks' wages for gross misconduct - thought to be around £1.2million - to the club board but lodged another with the Premier League.
His withdrawal of that appeal may now ease his return to action with the title-chasers.
Tevez sparked further controversy shortly before his return to the UK last week when he accused Mancini of treating him "like a dog" in Munich but that matter now also seems to be closed.
City's statement read: "Carlos Tevez has today apologised to all concerned for his recent conduct.
"Carlos returned to the football club last Tuesday, following a three-month absence from duties, without permission.
"Carlos has also withdrawn his appeal against the club's finding of gross misconduct which was due to be heard by a Premier League panel in the coming days.
"He has since begun a training programme designed to return him to optimum fitness."
Tevez's potential availability gives Mancini the option of City's top scorer for the past two seasons for the Premier League title run-in
Will Carlos Tevez play for Manchester City again this season?