Inter Milan could now be favourites to sign Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez after derby rivals AC Milan suggested their priorities are in other areas.
The Italian clubs have both held discussions with Premier League leaders City with a view to signing the controversial Argentine, who is no longer wanted at the Etihad Stadium.
But earlier this week talks in London broke down between City and AC Milan after the defending Serie A champions failed to make room in their squad by selling Alexandre Pato.
AC Milan suffered a further setback on Sunday when losing 1-0 to Inter, but, speaking after the match, boss Massimiliano Allegri suggested attention is now moving away from Tevez.
Allegri said when asked if Tevez will move to the San Siro: "You must ask to the club.
"Now the midfield worries me most, because we have so many injuries and we are left with few alternatives."
Inter or AC Milan seemingly represent Tevez's only route out of City, where he has not played since the end of September after an infamous bust-up.
The 27-year-old's former club, Corinthians, appear to have ended their interest, while new QPR boss and former City manager Mark Hughes has ruled out a reunion at Loftus Road.
Inter president Massimo Moratti could therefore be confident of securing a deal, having on Friday confirmed he was re-entering the chase for Tevez following AC Milan's problems.
"Never say never," hinted Inter boss Claudio Ranieri when asked about Tevez after defeating AC Milan.
"If the president wants to make a gift to the city of Milan and to our fans... I am a company man. I work with what I have."
Inter Milan striker Giampaolo Pazzini also told Sky Sport Italia regarding Tevez: "Now it's a market soap opera. If Tevez arrived at Inter, I don't mind. He is a champion."