AC Milan insist that they are only willing to take Carlos Tevez on a loan deal with a view to a permanent transfer.
Milan have been leading the chase to land the Manchester City striker, who is currently AWOL in Argentina.
The controversial forward has not played for City since September, when he refused to warm-up during their Champions League clash with Bayern Munich.
City are ready to let him leave, but are reluctant to let him leave on loan and have told Milan they want a transfer fee.
At this moment, though, Milan want him on loan to cover for Antonio Cassano, who is set to miss the rest of the season following heart surgery.
City chief Brian Marwood criticised Milan's stance last week, insisting they would not relent and the Italians would need to offer something new.
But his counterpart Adriano Galliani says Milan are unmoved and will not change their loan bid, but they will look to change City's minds before the transfer window opens in January.
"Let's hope sooner or later City change their minds," said Galliani.
"Negotiations are going to take a long time but we are placing a lot of emphasis on the fact he wants to play with us."
Marwood insisted that other clubs are interested with Paris St Germain, Inter Milan and Juventus all strongly linked - but Galliani insists that the queue is not that long.
"It's true other sides are interested in him but there are not actually that many," he said.
"Milan are only looking for a striker on the transfer market after Antonio Cassano's health problem.
"At the moment Manchester City have rejected our offer for Tevez. If it is accepted, then good, otherwise he won't come to us.
"We will meet with City again and try to convince them from here to January 31. If we do not succeed, then either another striker will arrive or nobody at all."