Tevez goes AWOL from training

Striker returns to Argentina without City's permission

Carlos Tevez: Has flown home to Argentina without permission from City

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

Carlos Tevez could face more disciplinary action from Manchester City after failing to report for training.

The striker missed training on Wednesday after he returned to Argentina without permission from the club.

The wantaway striker flew out to his homeland on Tuesday after choosing not to contest a fine of two weeks' wages given to him by City for misconduct during the UEFA Champions League defeat at Bayern Munich on September 27th.

The 27-year-old was accused by manager Roberto Mancini of refusing to come on as a substitute during the second half of the 2-0 loss at the Allianz Arena, but Tevez denied the allegation and blamed a misunderstanding, insisting he had merely refused to warm up - something he felt unnecessary as he had already done so.

Punishment

City had wanted to fine Tevez four weeks' wages for the incident, but the punishment was reduced to two weeks' after the PFA refused to ratify the preliminary decision.

He was also suspended for two weeks - although that was deemed to have already been served while the incident was being investigated - and given a written warning as to his future conduct.

The frontman was expected to report to City's Carrington base for training on Wednesday morning, but he failed to turn up and he could now be facing more punishment.

Tevez's PR Advisor Paul McCarthy told Sky Sports News: "He's gone to see his family. They flew back when he flew back, when he was suspended by Manchester City, and he's gone back to see them.

"We've said all along that Carlos is aware of situation in terms of getting back to his fitness. I can't really say much more until he's back in the country."

Tevez had been expected to appeal the fine but McCarthy added: "We felt it was time to draw a line under it.

"The initial fine that Manchester City wanted to impose was four weeks. They were advised by the PFA that that wasn't going to be sanctioned.

"Basically we just felt that Carlos had always admitted that he'd failed to resume warming up, not that he'd failed to enter the field of play. That was underlined by the PFA's judgement. And we just felt that it was time to draw a line under it and try to move on."

Future

The Argentina international has twice requested a transfer in the past year and, despite his decision to accept his fine and suspension, it is unlikely he has any future at City beyond the January transfer window.

Mancini has said he would welcome Tevez back into the first-team if he apologized for his actions, but McCarthy confirmed that is yet to happen.

He said: "It's a situation that's still under discussion. All avenues are still open. There's an ongoing dialogue with Carlos' advisors and Manchester City."

Related Profiles