Carlos Tevez will not be charged with refusing to play against Bayern Munich but will be charged over refusing to warm up, Sky Sports News understands.
City manager Roberto Mancini claimed after last month's UEFA Champions League defeat in Germany that Tevez refused to come on as a substitute, an accusation which was denied by the player.
He was suspended by the club whilst an internal investigation was carried out, and will attend a disciplinary hearing on Friday afternoon when his future at the club could become clearer.
Tevez is facing a number of charges and one of those is that he refused to warm up under the instruction of Mancini.
But it is understood that no further action will be taken over claims that he refused to come on as a substitute.
Speaking to Sky Sports in the immediate aftermath of the match, Mancini said: "He refused to come onto the pitch. It is a bad situation."
But Tevez refuted that version of events and, speaking through a translator, said: "I didn't want to warm up because I wasn't feeling very well, so I thought it was better not to.
"I didn't think I was in a good situation to come on because my head wasn't in the right place."
City lost the match at the Allianz Arena 2-0 and, since Mancini made the allegation about Tevez, the club have stayed quiet on the subject as they investigate.
Reporters were again told that Mancini would not comment on Tevez as he faced the media ahead of Sunday's Manchester derby at Old Trafford.
And the Italian manager preferred to stay focused on the game when he was asked about whether it was frustrating not to be able to talk freely.
"I say what I want, not this, because we have an important game," he said on Sky Sports News.
"We don't have any problems. We have 25 good players."