Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce has moved to clear up reports that he singled out Steven Taylor for criticism.
Reports over the weekend suggested Allardyce singled out Taylor for criticism following last month's defeat to Manchester City.
Taylor, who has turned down a new deal at St James' Park, has been left out of Newcastle's last two games fuelling rumours of a possible move away from the club.
However, Allardyce insists the England Under 21 international remains part of his plans and his criticism was aimed at the whole of the defence for the recent defeat at City, and not just Taylor.
Misinterpreted"The remark was misinterpreted and singled out for one individual player. I don't deny I used the word, but it was about the defending in general, not one individual," Allardyce told the Sunday Mirror.
"I said it wasn't just Steven Taylor, it was the whole of the back four.
"Steven will be disappointed that he hasn't been in the team the last couple of games. I expect everyone who isn't in the team to be disappointed, but he is working hard in training and waiting for his chance.
"He is a great lad, a nice young age and he has a massive future. That future should be at Newcastle United."