Emre focus back on football
By Mark Buckingham. Last Updated: January 1, 1970 1:00am
Emre Belozoglu admits his fight to clear his name against charges of racism left him unable to focus on football.
The Newcastle United midfielder had been accused of racial abuse towards Everton defender Joseph Yobo in December.
He was later cleared of the charge by The Football Association, but the Turkey international concedes it was a traumatic period.
"It has been a very difficult time for me and I thank God that it is over," Emre told the News of the World.
"It was just a discussion on the field and what's important is that the player who had the conversation with me never had a problem or said anything about it.
"There were two team-mates of his who did and therefore I had a terrible six-week period.
"If Yobo had confirmed that I said anything like I was being accused of then, yes, I would be guilty, but he never did.
"I haven't been able to focus on football. It has been a nightmare for me.
"Some nights I could not even close my eyes to sleep. That's why I wasn't in the right frame of mind to play lately.
"Now I just want to get back to playing football and giving my all for Newcastle on the field."