Flo emerges as surprise option
By Fotis Voinikas. Last Updated: January 1, 1970 1:00am
Newcastle United could emerge as shock contenders for Siena striker Tore Andre Flo's signature.
The former Sunderland man is open to offers as he looks to leave Serie A and Magpies boss Graeme Souness is said to be considering an approach for the Norwegian target man.
Newcastle are woefully short of attacking options at the moment with only Alan Shearer and rookie Michael Chopra available for the InterToto Cup campaign, presuming Craig Bellamy is not considered for selection.
Flo has been talking to clubs in England and had been expected to attract attention in the south of England with Queens Park Rangers keen to set up a daring bid for the 32-year-old.
Gunnar-Martin Kjenner, the player's representative, has already hinted that a Premiership switch would be high on Flo's agenda.
"He still has a house in Ascot [Berkshire] so if any clubs want to sign him, I definitely think it's possible," he stated recently.
"I think he would be happy to come back to England and The Premiership is the first choice of course.
"He has said to me, if it's possible, he wants to go to a club in England."
QPR have admitted that the likelihood of them snaring Flo is a "100-1" shot, but they did hold talks with the ex-Rangers hit-man and are trying to secure his services.