Griffin determined to stay in Toon
By Alex Livie. Last Updated: January 1, 1970 1:00am
Andy Griffin says he has no plans to move on from Newcastle United.
Talks over a new deal have so far failed to bear fruit and the former Stoke man blotted his copybook with a dismissal for the reserves late last month.
Magpies chief Sir Bobby Robson was furious with Griffin and fined him two weeks' wages for fighting with Mark Kinsella.
The talented full back has apologised for his actions but is aware it could cost him the chance of cementing a regular place in the team.
"I let a lot of people down and I'm disappointed with that," Griffin said of his dismissal against Aston Villa.
"Things like this happen every now and again in football, but obviously you don't want them to happen to yourself.
"It was a mistake on my behalf and I apologise for that. All I can say is hopefully it won't happen again.
"I'm going to miss three games this month, which is very disappointing, but I've got to face up to the punishment.
"It was my fault. Life is a learning curve, and you live and learn by these things."
Griffin's current contract runs out next summer but he is determined to strike a new deal and extend his six-year stay on Tyneside.
"I don't want to leave Newcastle United," he said.
"I've been here almost six years, and I hope that continues. I've got a lot of friends, I get on well with all the lads and I don't want that to change.
"I've got my fingers crossed that something can get sorted out."