Kean - No bids for Yakubu
Blackburn boss always confident of keeping hold of striker
Last Updated: February 12, 2012 5:14pm
Yakubu: Blackburn Rovers striker attracted plenty of interest during the January transfer window
Steve Kean says Blackburn Rovers fielded plenty of interest in Yakubu in January, but insists there was never a bid from Queens Park Rangers.
Yakubu has been a revelation at Ewood Park since joining from Everton last summer and has scored 13 goals in 17 Premier League appearances.
He was a target for Rovers' fellow strugglers QPR during last month's transfer window and was also linked with other clubs.
However, after Yakubu opened the scoring in Blackburn's 3-2 win over QPR on Saturday, Kean revealed he was never concerned he would lose the 29-year-old.
Not for sale
"We had no bid from QPR for Yakubu, but I think there was always going to be plenty of interest - it wasn't only from QPR, there were many clubs that showed an interest," said Kean.
"But when we said he was not for sale, it never got to the stage that there was any bid."
Another Rovers player who was heavily linked with QPR in January was Christopher Samba, who submitted a transfer request.
It was rejected and he has not played since, but Kean expects the defender, who has been nursing a hamstring problem, to be back in the team soon.
"He has had a clear scan - he had an MRI scan on his hamstring - which is good news," Kean said.
"I'm sure he will be back in full training early next week."