Spurs-bound John Bostock has strongly denied money is behind his decision to turn his back on Crystal Palace.
The Eagles had hoped the 16-year-old would commit his future to the Selhurst Park outfit, but instead he has opted to agree a deal at White Hart Lane.
The move has infuriated Palace chairman Simon Jordan who claims he had been repeatedly told by his father that the teenager would be staying in South London.
Spurs revealed a deal had been agreed with Bostock on Friday, although they will still need to agree a compensation package with Palace before the move can be completed.
"I know people think I have left Palace for the money, but there is another side to this," the teenager told the Daily Mail.
"I don't think about the money and it never played a part in my decision. People need to understand that I loved playing for Palace."
Although Neil Warnock guided Palace into the Championship play-offs last season, Bostock has claimed he had grown frustrated at the team's style of play.
"I don't know if Palace fans will ever be able to understand why a genuine Palace supporter left the club, but I was frustrated with the way I was playing under the style of football at the club," he continued.
"When I made my debut against Watford, I was ready to commit my future to Palace and could see myself playing a hundred games in no time, but I was stagnating. I need to be at a club where I can continue my development.
"Tottenham have always shown a lot of interest and I believe I will be pushed to improve my game. In the youth team at Palace, it is too easy. Even though most of the players are two years older than me, it is not a challenge. In my last game for the club, against Watford (youth), I scored two and it was just too easy.
"I like Tottenham's playing style, I will be training with the first team and playing for the reserves in my first season. I could have gone to big clubs, like Chelsea or Barcelona, but Spurs offers me the best career progression. That is my belief."