New Spurs Arango bid denied
By Francisco Acedo. Last Updated: January 1, 1970 1:00am
Tottenham's interest in South American Juan Arango does not look to have diminished in recent months.
Arango is Real Mallorca's prized asset, but their continuing financial problems make it increasingly difficult for them to hold onto him.
Spurs' original interest stems back to last summer when they courted Arango just before he penned a new contract.
Tottenham were again strongly linked late last year, but a presumed January bid never materialised.
However, Spurs are now believed to have gone back to Mallorca with an offer - but Spanish sources claim a bid of é¼3.5 million (£2.4 million) has been snubbed - although the club have denied this.
"We have not received any offer for Juan, we only know the rumours," said a Mallorca spokesman.
Mallorca are struggling financially - they will want the best fee possible for Arango and it is claimed they will let him leave for é¼6 million - nearly twice what Spurs' opening salvo is.
Arango himself is trying to concentrate on Mallorca - despite the fact he has never hidden his desire to test himself in England.
"My desire at the moment is to exclusively play and help the team and help them for another year in the Primera Division," he said.
Spurs are likely to come back for Arango again before the summer - but they are not alone in their liking.
West Ham, Bolton and Wigan have all been impressed with Arango in recent months after dispatching their own scouts and rival bids for the 25-year-old could emerge.