CADAMARTERI CONFIRMS EVERTON EXIT
By Patrick Goss. Last Updated: January 1, 1970 1:00am
DANNY CADAMARTERI has confirmed he will walk away from Everton to find both a regular starting slot and a clean slate - after being found guilty of assaulting a woman on a night out.
Everton had already stated that the speedy striker, who was fined £2,000 for the assault, would not see his contract renewed, and Cadamarteri admitted that he is leaving.
"With regards to my professional career at Everton football club, my agent Phil Smith has been in discussion with the club over a number of months prior to this incident regarding my future," said the 21-year-old marksman.
"Bearing in mind that my contract ends with Everton this current season, for some time now it was mutually agreed that I should look to pursue my career elsewhere.
"The fact of the matter is that having burst onto the scene a couple of years ago, I am now at a stage in my career where I need first team football on a regular basis, something that Everton could not guarantee.
"I accept that and am now looking forward to a challenge of playing for another ambitious club who can give me a platform and a chance to fulfil my potential.
"Further to the statement that Everton FC made on Tuesday, I should like to add my own views on the situation and put the record straight.
"I accept that as a professional footballer I am in the limelight and therefore in any given public situation I have to be accountable for my actions.
"When all is said and done I am a lad of 21 years of age who has learnt a valuable lesson in life but at some considerable consequence to myself in both a professional and personal way."