Barca make Arsenal contact
Spanish champions yet to make offer for Fabregas
Last Updated: May 25, 2010 3:08pm
Fabregas: Barcelona interest
Barcelona have made contact with Arsenal regarding Cesc Fabregas, but have yet to make a formal offer for the midfielder.
Spain international Fabregas is understood to have told the Gunners last week that he wants to secure a move back to Barcelona over the summer.
The 23-year-old started his career at Camp Nou before joining Arsenal seven years ago and is keen to discuss a return to the Spanish champions.
Arsenal are determined to hold on to their captain and chairman Peter Hill-Wood has expressed his surprise that the club are yet to receive an offer for Fabregas.
The Catalan giants' director general Joan Oliver has now revealed tentative contact has been made with their Premier League counterparts as Barca weigh up their next move.
"There is no offer yet," Oliver told the club's official website.
"It's true the player has expressed his wish to play for Barca, perhaps this coming season.
"We have had first contacts with Arsenal in which we made known our intention to talk and that's the current situation.
"We are not in any hurry and you never know how long these operations can take."
Cesc's father, Francesc Fabregas, was quoted as saying on Radio Marca: "The negotiations between Arsenal and Barcelona are going to be very long.
"Both parties are going to have to sit down several times because the matter is complicated.
"Cesc is now focused on the Spanish national team, but he wants the signing to be closed as soon as possible.
"I don't know how this is going to end up, but I think that we need to respect the decision and the will of the player.
"Cesc has always responded to Arsene Wenger with his work and we are also grateful to Arsenal because they have made our son a man. We only want this to end soon.
"At the moment he has a contract with Arsenal. I get the feeling the English club don't want to sell him, but in end will allow Cesc to leave."