Liverpool are set to return to the High Court on Thursday to try and resolve the future of the ownership of the club.
The proposed £300million deal with New England Sports Ventures (NESV) was delayed on Wednesday after the club's current owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett gained an injunction in a Texas court to stop the sale of the Anfield outfit.
Earlier on Wednesday a takeover looked to be on the horizon after the High Court in London ruled Hicks and Gillett could not prevent a change of ownership.
Now Liverpool's board are returning to the High Court at 2pm as they look to remove the restraining order obtained and they intend to complete the sale to NESV.
Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton remains confident the takeover of the club will go through despite the last-ditch attempts to block the sale.
The whole process took another step closer on Wednesday evening when NESV supremo John W Henry, who also controls the Boston Red Sox, then arrived in London for talks with Liverpool's board
However, Hicks and Gillett have challenged the sale by obtaining a temporary restraining order to prevent the deal going through.
The American have described the prospective deal with NESV as an 'epic swindle' and are seeking $1.6billion (more than £1billion) damages against The Royal Bank of Scotland, Liverpool board members and NESV.
Keep the faith
Despite the latest twist in the saga, Broughton is optimistic that the sale will go through after accusing Hicks and Gillett of 'trying every trick in the book'.
"They are trying every trick in the book, but keep the faith," Broughton told Sky Sports News HD.
"We will keep trying. I haven't heard anything [this morning] I haven't had time."
Asked if he remained confident of doing the deal with NESV, Broughton added: "I always remain confident."
Henry is believed to be prepared to wait for the order to be lifted to conclude the takeover.
Meanwhile, Hicks remains in control of his share of the club and has not sold out to Mill Financial.
Reports earlier in the day suggested the hedge fund, a branch of Washington-based Springfield Financial, had acquired the Texan's 50 per cent share having already taken ownership of his fellow co-owner Gillett's half.
However, a UK-based spokesman for Tom Hicks said Mill Financial had not acquired Hicks' stake.