STAUNTON DISAPPOINTED BY HOULLIER DECISION
By Peter O`Rourke. Last Updated: January 1, 1970 1:00am
LIVERPOOL defender Steve Staunton has revealed that he has been told by Reds boss Gerard Houllier that he has no future at Anfield.
The Republic of Ireland international had been told earlier in the season that he was allowed to leave Anfield on a free transfer, but he thought he might be able to win a place in the side after being called back from a loan spell at Crystal Palace two weeks ago.
The former Aston Villa star, who played in the second half against Olympiakos 12 days ago, felt he might be given the chance to convince Houllier he is worthy of a place in his plans with injuries to Christian Ziege and Djimi Traore.
However, the Frenchman has told the 31-year-old full back that he is not in his plans and that he will have to go elsewhere, and Staunton admitted that he is extremely disappointed to be leaving the club.
"To say I was disappointed would be an understatement," Staunton told his official website.
"I have never hidden my love for Liverpool FC and I felt I did reasonably well when I came on in the second half against Olympiakos. That's why I thought I might be given another chance to convince the manager that I should be in his plans. But he has made up his mind. I have to go."
Aston Villa have been reported to be interested in bringing Staunton back to Villa Park and the player confirmed that Crystal Palace have made an offer to sign him after impressing during his loan spell at the club.
"The one definite offer is from Crystal Palace," said Staunton. "But this would mean I would have to uproot my family and bring them to London. I would prefer not to have to do that.
"There also has been speculation in the press that Aston Villa would like me back. I don't know anything about this. Certainly I haven't spoken to anyone at Villa. So we'll have to wait and see on that one."