By Simon Fudge. Last Updated: January 1, 1970 1:00am
Premiership champions Chelsea have usurped Peterborough United's plans to sign Cheshunt striker Lloyd Opara.
Posh boss Steve Bleasdale was planning to take the former Colchester United, Cambridge United and Swindon Town hit-man on loan after Opara had impressed the League Two club during a trial spell this week.
However, the 22-year-old has been handed the chance of a run-out with the Chelsea reserve side - much to the disappointment of London Road chief Bleasdale.
"Lloyd has done well in training this week and we were set to sign him on Wednesday, but Chelsea want him to go there for a trial period, so we can't stand in his way," Bleasdale told Peterborough's official website.
"I suppose we have been pipped to a player by Chelsea and I don't think we could compete with them financially, but he is going there on trial.
"Lloyd has said how much he enjoyed training with us, so if it doesn't work out at Chelsea, then maybe he can return here.
"We certainly wanted to sign him until the end of the season."
The move to Stamford Bridge is a far cry from previous trial spells for Opara this season, with the youngster having had run-outs with fellow League Two clubs Barnet and Leyton Orient.
Bleasdale, meanwhile, will continue his search for a new striker by taking a closer look at former Crewe Alexandra hit-man Matthew Platt and former Boston United and Chester City man Daryl Clare - who currently plies his trade with Nationwide Conference strugglers Crawley Town.
Peterborough also missed out on loan target Wayne Andrews after being knocked back by his Championship club Crystal Palace.
In other news, Posh defender Mark Arber has been charged by the Football Association with improper conduct after admitting to tampering with a drug test urine sample.
The incident occurred after last month's win at Notts County, as Arber tampered with Danny Crow's partially-completed urine sample in the club's dressing room.
The former Tottenham Hotspur, Barnet and Oldham Athletic player has requested a personal hearing after admitting the FA charge on March 1.