Quinton Fortune's Sunderland future will be decided next week.
Black Cats boss Roy Keane is currently considering whether to add his former Manchester United team-mate to his squad, who play Wigan in the FA Cup on Saturday.
Fortune - who played for United from 1999-2006, making more than 100 appearances - is currently training with Sunderland as he makes his way back from an operation.
The 30-year-old South African utility player is available on a free after being released from Bolton last May.
Speaking about the situation, Keane told the Sunderland Echo: "Quinton has been training with us for the last month or two. We will make a decision on him next week.
"It's a case of us both helping each other out.
"He's been looking to get his match fitness back after a serious operation and he's been good to have around the place, so there may be news on that next week."
Keane has raided his former club United for his first signing of the January transfer window - Jonny Evans has returned to the club on loan for the rest of the season.
But the Black Cats boss has confirmed he is not pursuing another Red Devils player - defender Wes Brown.
Brown is out of contract at the end of the season and North East rivals Newcastle have recently had a bid turned down for the in-demand defender.
Keane said: "I know Wes Brown has his contract situation there but I'd be very surprised if that wasn't sorted out.
"And if he does decide to see his contract out, well, there will be lots and lots of clubs involved in trying to sign him."