Rooney red sours United win

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

Wayne Rooney and Paul Scholes overshadowed Michael Carrick's debut by being sent off in Manchester United's 3-1 victory over Porto in the Amsterdam Tournament.

Rooney continued his turbulent relationship with Portuguese opposition by harshly being dismissed in the first half, while Scholes was red-carded for two poorly-timed tackles.

United had taken the lead through Scholes, and Rooney added a second, only for the duo to be off the field by the time Ole Gunnar Solskjaer scored a third, with Pepe hammering in a consolation.

Porto started in sprightly fashion, with United having been forced into a late reshuffle with John O'Shea coming in for Rio Ferdinand, who picked up an injury in the warm-up.

Anderson turned an attempt over at the near post before Carrick marked his Red Devils debut by setting up Scholes for the opening goal on 11 minutes.

The £14 million signing played his corner to Scholes at the edge of the box and the former England international cut back inside before drilling a low, left-foot shot past a static Helton.

Wes Brown almost gifted Porto an equaliser, with his sloppy back-pass giving Tarik Sektioui a glimpse of goal, but ex-Ajax keeper Edwin van der Sar was out quickly to snuff out the danger.

The tenacity of Rooney brought a second United goal on 20 minutes. After losing possession, the striker was in quick to regain the ball and he produced a delicate dink over Porto keeper Helton.

Controversy never strays far from Rooney, though, and three minutes before half time he was sent off for catching Porto defender Pepe in the face with his hand.

The 20-year-old did not appear to show any intent and he kept his eyes on the ball, with Pepe's reaction hardly helping Rooney's cause.

In the second half, only the profligacy of Porto striker Adriano kept United in front as he missed two glaring opportunities.

He firstly failed to connect with Sektioui's cross when unmarked six yards out and then headed wide at the near post after a fine cross from Ricardo Quaresma.

United were reduced to nine men on 68 minutes when Scholes, having just received the captain's armband from Ryan Giggs, caught Quaresma with a late challenge from behind and was sent off, having been booked for a similarly rash challenge minutes earlier.

Substitute keeper Ben Foster parried a stinging Anderson shot as Phil Bardsley denied Adriano on the rebound before the Porto front man had a goal disallowed for barging into Foster.

Remarkably, The Red Devils poached a third goal on 74 minutes when Kieran Richardson fed Solskjaer, who bustled his way into the area and finished from an acute angle.

Porto's response was stunning as Pepe showed the brighter side to his game with a bullet of a shot from 25 yards which flew into the top corner.

Foster made solid late saves from Costa and Sektioui as United held on, but it will be the repercussions from the game which will trouble Sir Alex Ferguson more than the result itself.

Meanwhile, in the second game, hosts Ajax required a late equaliser from Wesley Sneijder to claim a 1-1 draw against Internazionale.

The newly-crowned Italian champions took the lead on 18 minutes when Maarten Stekelenburg could only parry the ball straight to Santiago Solari, who made no mistake.

A first-half bust-up soured proceedings, while Jaap Stam went close with a header before Sneijder curled home from 30 yards three minutes from time.