Fergie flies into Mikel fray

Loading Market ...

Football Betting

Up To £30 Free Matched Bet

Sir Alex Ferguson is flying to Norway on Thursday to try and resolve the situation over John Obi Mikel.

The Nigerian starlet penned a deal with Manchester United last month, which infuriated Premiership rivals Chelsea, who thought they already had the 18-year-old signed and sealed.

Since the announcement of Mikel's signing, the youngster is reported to have received death threats and went into hiding - and some parts of the Norwegian press are claiming the youngster now wants to join Chelsea instead of United after Lyn called the police.

He has since gone missing and Lyn insist that agents Jerome Anderson and John Shittu are responsible for taking Mikel away.

Lyn are now furious with how events are transpiring.

"Jim Ryan [United youth coach] is already here and Sir Alex Ferguson is coming to Norway," Lyn's sporting director Morgan Andersen told skysports.com.

"We will have to see what happens when Sir Alex comes, but we are informing the police again and the Norwegian FA.

"We don't know where John is. He has been taken away by agents John Shittu and Jerome Anderson - who told us they were working for Chelsea, although Chelsea have not confirmed that with us.

"We have received some information that John may be on his way to join up with a Nigeria training camp in Germany, but we are not sure if this is right.

"Manchester United, we know, have written to Chelsea about this whole saga, but we know there is nothing wrong on our part. Everything done is rock solid and legal.

"We have always got on well with Chelsea. They made us an offer for John, but it was way off the mark and they only wanted to use middle men all the time.

"John wasn't happy with all the agents becoming involved and so we managed to cancel all arrangements before he signed for Manchester United."

Lyn have also insisted that Chelsea are illegally keeping hold of Mikel's team-mate and fellow countryman Emmanuel Sakri - who has been on trial at Stamford Bridge since January.

"He [Sakri] is our player and what can we say? They will not let him come back!" Anderson continued.

Lyn are now just concentrating on the Mikel situation, which has been complicated by the fact that the player is quoted as saying he wants to move to Stamford Bridge.

"I don't want to play for Manchester United anymore," Mikel is reported to have said.

"I'm not satisfied with the way Lyn have handled this case and I'm angry that they sent the police after me. I find this very degrading."

Lyn, though, insist that Mikel will only move with their say so as he is under contract with them for two more years - meaning he will not move to Chelsea unless there is a dramatic U-turn in events.

"We have him under contract, we will decide where he goes," said Andersen.

"It was all okay until 48 hours ago when these agents turned up, but now we just have to find him and clear this up."

Lyn and United are now looking into the possibility of the deal, which was scheduled for January, being brought forward to this summer.

"That is a possibility we are considering," Ryan told Aftenposten.

"But first we have to discuss this with Lyn and the player."

Lyn will hope the arrival of Ferguson - who is obviously worried enough to make the trip - will get the whole issue sorted out.