Second Chaplow bid snubbed
By Mark Buckingham. Last Updated: January 1, 1970 1:00am
Burnley have rejected West Bromwich Albion's second offer for Richard Chaplow, as The Baggies close on Manchester United winger Kieran Richardson.
Teenage midfielder Chaplow has emerged as Baggies boss Bryan Robson's chief target during the transfer window.
An initial offer from The Premiership's bottom club was shunned and an improved bid, which included a player, has also been snubbed by The Clarets.
The Baggies are now expected to go in with a third offer after Burnley chairman Barry Kilby confirmed the latest instalment in the transfer saga.
"I have rung [Albion chairman] Jeremy Peace back and told him that in my opinion the offer is still way short of our valuation of Richard," said Kilby.
"He said he would take that back to the board at West Brom so we will see what happens."
Kilby is believed to be asking for £2 million for Chaplow, although Robson has warned he will not be held to ransom in his pursuit of the 19-year-old.
Robson, though, could have better luck in his transfer raids with Red Devils starlet Richardson due to move to The Hawthorns.
The Baggies boss is a huge admirer of Richardson and is expected to complete a deal to sign the player on loan for the rest of the season on Monday.
Meanwhile, Leeds United have been linked with a move for West Brom's out-of-favour striker Rob Hulse.
West Brom accepted a £1.2 million offer from Stoke City earlier this month but Hulse rejected a move to The Britannia Stadium but may be tempted by a switch to fellow Championship side Leeds.