Premier League

Sky Sports Vault

This season, we're unlocking the Sky Sports Vault and picking out some classic football moments from yesteryear for you to watch and enjoy once again. The Premier League's first live televised goal gets the ball rolling...

Sky Sports Vault: First Premier League goal on Sky Sports

Each week - and with an eye towards our upcoming live fixtures - we'll be venturing into the Sky Sports Vault to pick out a football video from our archive that's well worth seeing again, whilst providing some additional reading for you too.

With the 22nd Premier League season kicking off this weekend, we're rewinding all the way back to the start of the first for this opening edition. Nottingham Forest beat Liverpool 1-0 on August 16, 1992, in front of the Super Sunday cameras, heralding a revolution in football broadcasting.

Next week, Aston Villa host Liverpool in our Saturday Night Football offering and it's Manchester United v Chelsea on Monday Night Football. With those games in mind, let us know what you'd like us to search for in the Vault by leaving a comment below, or you can tweet us on @SkyFootball using the hashtag #skysportsvault.

Nick Tanner: Made 59 appearances for Liverpool

Sunday 16 August, 1992

  • 'Rhythm Is A Dancer' by Snap! remains the UK's number one single for a third week
  • Lethal Weapon 3 tops the UK weekend box office
  • Ayrton Senna wins the Hungarian Grand Prix ahead of Nigel Mansell - but the Briton clinches the Drivers' Championship
  • Nick Price claims his first major - the PGA Championship - at Bellerive, Missouri

They said it was "a whole new ball game."

Simple Minds' 'Alive and Kicking' soundtracked the trailers, there was two hours of televised build-up, and never-before-seen on-screen graphics showing the scoreline and clock. As the Super Sunday theme music went: "Here we go, here we go, here we go, here we go - this is it."

However, the major change at the start of the 1992/93 season for Liverpool defender Nick Tanner was happening on the pitch. Eight days before they travelled to face Nottingham Forest in their Premier League opener, the Reds had been involved in an end-to-end Wembley encounter with Leeds United in the Charity Shield. Graeme Souness' men came out on the wrong end of a seven-goal scoreline, and it was easy to pinpoint the problem.

"The backpass rule changed - and straight away, in that Charity Shield game, everybody was just attacking," Tanner told Sky Sports.

"It was constantly in your mind as a defender - you can't play the ball back. Previously, Liverpool would just kill the game off. We'd be 1-0 up, play the ball back to Bruce Grobbelaar. He'd bounce the ball a bit, Phil Neal would drop off, and Bruce would roll it out to him. That all stopped.

"The rule was brought in to make the game more exciting. It just made the game a lot quicker, in my opinion. It was 100 miles per hour."

Having won the FA Cup in his first full campaign in charge, Souness was embarking on his second season looking to improve on a sixth-placed finish - but it was still a time of transition at Anfield. The Scot continued to face internal opposition to his methods (even the simple matter of the players reporting straight to Melwood for training, instead of changing at Anfield and catching a bus there and back, was criticised) and the team he picked to face Forest contained new signings like goalkeeper David James and forward Paul Stewart. Big stars like Ian Rush and Dean Saunders were still in the side, but the likes of Tanner and Mike Marsh weren't exactly household names - as Brian Clough was quick to remind them before kick-off on that Sunday afternoon.

"Me and Marshy were walking onto the City Ground pitch," recalls Tanner, "and Cloughie came running out of this room, shouting 'where the ****ing hell do you think you're going?' We were just going out to look at the pitch!"

Nick Tanner

Kenny Dalglish brought Nick Tanner, then aged 23, to Liverpool in August 1988 for a fee of £20,000 from Bristol Rovers. He became a first-team regular under Graeme Souness in the 1991-92 season, and scored in a Merseyside derby at Goodison shortly after Christmas. However, he was forced to hang up his boots in 1994 due to a back injury, having made 59 appearances for the club in total. Since retiring, Nick has moved back to Bristol, has a 19-year-old son called Will and has worked mainly in the motor/insurance industry. He's soon to start a new career as a Business Development Manager for Wilmslow-based Qdos Rescue Services.

As for the hype surrounding the new Premier League, it didn't seem to transmit through to Tanner and his team-mates.

"All the razzmatazz and stuff around it, you just thought 'this is never going to catch on'. It was all about the football in those days. There hadn't been so much build-up around the games.

"Ronnie Moran and Roy Evans had been around for years, and they'd always say 'get your mind on the game'. I don't think it really affected us."

However, even in those early days, there were fresh benefits from being seen on the box.

"Even I got a boot sponsor out of it, just because I was on the telly," recalls Tanner. "Mizuno came in and took three or four of us. That's one of the reasons agents came into the game. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have been better off."

The only goal of the game came after 28 minutes. Ian Woan played a pass forward and Scot Gemmill redirected the ball to Teddy Sheringham on the left flank. Mark Wright appealed in vain for offside, while Tanner was tracking the Forest forward.

"Common sense will tell you what you should do - show him down the line. I coach now, and I tell that to people and say 'show him down the line, where can he go?' But they say back to me 'what about that goal Sheringham scored?'

"It was a bit naive of me - I got there too quick. I vowed to learn from it, but by that time he'd already bent it in the top corner!"

Teddy Sheringham: Scored Sky's first live Premier League goal

A week later, Sheringham - still a year away from making his England debut - joined Tottenham for £2.1million and went on to become the Premier League's top scorer that season. Disastrously in his final season in charge, Clough failed to adequately replace Sheringham and Forest finished bottom. Souness also sold one of his star strikers - Saunders, to Aston Villa - and Liverpool again ended up in sixth, 25 points adrift of champions Manchester United.

Now, 21 years on from that groundbreaking beginning, a whole generation has grown up with Super Sunday and it's still going strong - Crystal Palace v Tottenham and Chelsea v Hull feature on the show this coming weekend.

"You don't cotton on until you look back," says Tanner. "You only realise afterwards how important those games are."