Hull City boss Steve Bruce has apologised to West Brom following reports that they had agreed a deal to sign striker Shane Long.
It was claimed that the Tigers had agreed a £5m transfer fee with the Baggies for the Republic of Ireland international and that Long was heading to the KC Stadium on Thursday for a medical.
However, following a denial on Hull's Twitter account Bruce apologised to West Brom, as well as Sunderland over another reported target of his, Steven Fletcher, for potentially unsettling speculation.
"First and foremost I really want to try and apologise to West Brom as a club, nothing has come from us and the same goes for another 'bid' for another striker. We haven't bid for anyone yet," he said.
"I don't mind speculation but I would be disappointed if I was manager of West Brom or Sunderland because it's simply not true.
"The way Twitter is, the way the media is, it happens, but to be so far wide of the mark is ridiculous and it causes us a big problem because we've spent half the morning apologising to the respective clubs and we've got nothing to do with it.
"Two days before Long it was an £18m for Fletcher, another load of nonsense. What can I do but sit here and apologise to everyone concerned?"
Bruce has also been linked with Celtic forward Georgios Samaras, while Gedo, Nick Proschwitz and Aaron Mclean are three players said to be heading for the exit door at the KC Stadium.