Wigan Athletic have confirmed the signing of Swansea striker Jason Scotland on a two-year contract, but a visa must still be granted before the deal is complete.
Roberto Martinez, who left Liberty Stadium to become Latics boss earlier this summer, agreed a fee between £2million and £3m with his former club for the Trinidad & Tobago international earlier in July.
However, it was still neccesary to receive clearance at a Football Association appeal hearing after being granted a work permit, which was successfully obtained on Wednesday morning.
Scotland's switch is still subject to the 30-year-old gaining a visa and international clearance, but Martinez is delighted to be on the verge of his third signing at the DW Stadium after already capturing Jordi Gomez and Hendry Thomas.
The Wigan boss told the club's official website: "Jason is a natural goalscorer, I can't really put it any other way.
"Every manager wants a player who has that clinical ability to make something happen in the box, and Jason can do that.
"He is strong, very physical, and his feet can produce the magic ingredient every team needs in the box. This was always going to be a key signing for me.
"I have every faith he can make the step up to the Premier League and become a real cult hero at the Latics.
"I know from experience how the Wigan fans love a goalscorer. Graeme Jones, Andy Liddell, Nathan Ellington, Jason Roberts. I am confident Jason can be the next name on that list."
Scotland, who has passed his medical, is looking forward to life in the Premier League after impressing in the Championship last season.
"I am so excited to get a chance in the Premier League," he said, "I want to show the manager he has done the right thing by bringing me here.
"I loved my time at Swansea and I think I served the club well. I want to thank all the supporters down there, but a new chapter in my career starts now."