Tudgay keen on Clarets talks
Laws feels Premier League new boys are unsettling striker
Last Updated: June 30, 2009 6:28pm
Tudgay: Keen on Burnley
Sheffield Wednesday boss Brian Laws has accused Burnley of trying to 'unsettle' Marcus Tudgay after the striker's agent claimed he would be keen to talk to the Premier League new boys.
Reports had claimed that Burnley, who have wrapped up the club record signing of Hibernian forward Steven Fletcher, had made a £1.5million bid to land Tudgay.
However, the Owls dismissed the claims and remain confident Tudgay will sign the three-year contract he agreed to last month.
Laws is not surprised the Clarets have shown an interest in the 26-year-old, but insists he does not want to lose such a key player.
"Marcus agreed terms on a new three-year deal some weeks ago and I expect that to be signed in the next few days," Laws told the Yorkshire Post. "This is a desperate move by Burnley to unsettle the player.
"I have spoken to Owen Coyle (Burnley's manager) and I have stressed that it would take a damned sight more money than has been quoted to prise him away.
"It doesn't surprise me that another club is interested. But Marcus is a player I want to build a team around."
Tudgay scored four goals in two appearances against Burnley last season and his agent Darryl Powell says he would be willing to discuss a move to Turf Moor.
"Everything has not been agreed," said Powell, regarding the new contract. "If an opportunity arises, Marcus would like to speak to Burnley.
"That is nothing against Sheffield Wednesday - which is a fantastic football club - but when a Premier League club shows interest, you want to take a look."