Bruce expects Valencia exit
Steve Bruce admits it is 'inevitable' that Antonio Valencia will leave Wigan in the summer.
By Richard Bailey
Last Updated: 13/05/09 11:13am
Steve Bruce has admitted it is 'inevitable' that Antonio Valencia will leave Wigan in the summer.
The Latics manager revealed that Real Madrid look certain to renew their interest after a failed bid in January with a representative due to fly in to watch the winger in action at the JJB Stadium against Manchester United on Wednesday.
The Red Devils are said to be another interested party but as of yet Bruce insists that no offers have been made.
The Ecuadorian is expected to be sold to the highest bidder once the season is over with Bruce looking to use the sale to bring in new players in the summer.
"It's inevitable Antonio will leave, but where he goes I'm not quite sure," he told theWigan Evening Post.
"There are no deals done at all. I keep reading that one, but nothings been done.
"I believe someone from Real Madrid is flying in for today's game and I've also heard the Germans - Bayern Munich have been knocking on the door too.
"Whether that is true, I don't know."
Whatever fee the Latics receive for the 23-year-old they are likely to make a huge profit with the club plucking the player from relative obscurity in August 2006.
After an initial loan spell Bruce made the deal permanent in January last year and he now has the job of unearthing another gem to replace the winger.
"At the end of the season I'll sit down and have a chat with Antonio. But I know it will be difficult to keep him," he added.
"We've then got the task of trying to unearth another one. We cannot buy the finished article here, we have to buy potential and work on them."