Hughes backs Robinho
Blues boss has high hopes for under-fire striker
By Carla Hilton. Last Updated: April 7, 2009 8:41pm
Robinho: Goal drought
Manchester City boss Mark Hughes is hoping Robinho can regain his scoring thread now the threat of legal action has been lifted.
Robinho was last night informed he will face no legal action over the allegations of sexual assault made against him in January.
The Brazilian striker, who has protested his innocence throughout, has failed to score in 14 games since the claims were made earlier this year.
Hughes, though, hopes his £32.5million signing can put those matters behind him and prove his worth in front of goal once again.
Put to bed
"We knew there was no substance to the allegations, and now it has been put to bed," said Hughes.
"But certainly those things can affect players.
"They are not nice, and it has not been easy for him, but it is out of the way now.
"I actually think the fact he has not scored is more to do with the opposition recognising what a talent he is and trying to find ways of stopping him.
"There have been games when he has not scored but has still created chances for other people."
Hughes says the amount of criticism aimed at the Brazilian striker is unfair and is largely due to his hefty price tag.
The City boss also spoke to defend Robinho's away form, saying the team as a whole are to blame for the Blues' barren spell on the road.
"He gets a little too much criticism for his away performances," said Hughes.
"I accept some of them have not been good, but he is not alone in that. He is high profile, and it is easy to pinpoint him."