Huszti set to take his pick
Hannover midfielder set to leave for free at the end of the season
By Juha Pal. Last Updated: January 18, 2009 5:28pm
Huszti: On the move
Hannover midfielder Szabolcs Huszti has admitted that he is likely to leave the Bundesliga club in the near future.
Huszti's current contract is set to expire at the end of the season, enabling the Hungarian international to leave for free in the summer.
The list of admirers for the former Metz ace appears to be endless with reports in Hungary linking Everton, Bolton, Birmingham, Blackburn, Portsmouth, Sevilla, Celtic and - more recently - Tottenham with the player.
The Scottish champions have tried to lure the 25-year-old to Celtic Park in the January transfer window to try and get a head start over their rivals for Huszti's signature but their cash offer was rejected by Hannover.
"I like all the mentioned teams but I don't know which I'd choose, maybe the one which want me the most," Huszti told www.origo.hu.
"I'm happy that I was mentioned in the press as a target for Celtic but I can't comment on any rumours. I haven't signed a contract to the Scots or any other team.
"Now I'm trying to do my job well in Hannover and I hope that my future will be decided soon.
"All countries and team have advantages and disadvantages. I want to play in a team which is better than Hannover and I'd also love to play in the European Cups."
The midfielder, who can play on both flanks, admits Hannover trainer Dieter Hecking has tried to persuade him to stay at the club but Huszti declares that it appears unlikely he will remain at the Bundesliga outfit.
Hannover are currently training in Portugal during the German league's winter break and face AC Milan in a friendly on Wednesday, something which doesn't faze the Hungarian.
"Our trainer, Dieter Hecking said before we came to Portugal to our training camp that he wants to sit down with me and have a conversation about my contract because he wants me to stay," he added.
"I wouldn't say I will surely leave but, as I've already said it in the past, my contract extension is the most unlikely possibility.
"Of course I didn't regret that I joined Hannover from Metz in 2006. I just can mention positive things about the club.
"I've played against good teams usually in front of 40-45 thousand supporters and I finished top of the goal and assist charts here last year and I'm leading it this year too.
"I think they did a bargain for me for the £300,000 Euros. I'm happy to have been playing here for three years.
"Anything can happen in the next two weeks until the end of the transfer period but according to the Bosman rule I may sign a pre-contract to my future club at any time in the following months."