Aliadiere hits out at FA ban
Striker confused by decision to extend suspension
By Laura Slatcher. Last Updated: March 15, 2008 12:28pm
Aliadiere: Confused by decision
Jeremie Aliadiere has hit out at the Football Association after his suspension was extended following his sending off at Liverpool last month.
The 24-year-old striker saw red in the league game at Anfield after clashing with Liverpool's Javier Mascherano off the ball and was handed an initial three-game ban.
Middlesbrough manager Gareth Southgate felt the decision was harsh and moved to have the ban overturned, but the FA deemed the club's appeal 'frivolous' and increased the suspension to four games.
Boro chief executive Keith Lamb and Southgate criticised the decision, but it is little comfort to Aliadiere who is disappointed by the FA's handling of the situation.
"When I heard I had got a four-game ban I was very upset and very disappointed because I didn't expect it," he told the Daily Mail.
"It was hard to take. I've not heard anyone say the four-game ban for me was right. I don't understand why they increased it.
"I'm the only Premier League player who has had that done to them. It's confusing"
Aliadiere feels he has received harsh treatment in comparison to the way some other incidents have been handled.
"Michael Essien against Derby used his elbows in the face but nothing happens," he added. "He doesn't get an extra ban but I did. Why? I have got no idea.
"I just don't understand it. Nobody has given me an answer.
"We can all sit back and say it is not right but not one person has told me I deserved four games out."