Inter Milan have confirmed their interest in Cardiff midfielder Gary Medel but have given up on Manchester City forward Stevan Jovetic.
Chile international Medel has been strongly linked with a move to Serie A in the wake of Cardiff’s relegation from the Premier League and his impressive performances at the World Cup.
The 26-year-old, who operates at centre-back for his country but was used in a defensive midfield role by the Bluebirds, was quoted as saying earlier this month that he would be open to a move to Italy.
And now Inter’s sporting director Piero Ausilio has revealed that Medel fits the profile of the player they are looking to bring in, although he is just one of a number of options.
He told Sky Sport Italy: "We are looking for a midfielder with the characteristics of aggressiveness and determination.
“Medel has those qualities and we like him, but we are also evaluating other players.”
Ausilio claimed they had also made a tentative enquiry to Manchester City over Montenegro international Jovetic, only to be told he was not for sale.
Jovetic struggled with injuries and form in his debut season in the Premier League, making just two starts after his £22million move from Fiorentina, but remains part of Manuel Pellegrini’s plans.
Ausilio added: "Some weeks ago there was contact with Manchester City and they told us that the player is not on the market.
“So we thought that this is no longer an opportunity, even if the market closes on September 2.”