Wigan manager Roberto Martinez is still considering whether to appeal against his FA charge
Last Updated: September 27, 2012 12:42pm
Wigan manager Roberto Martinez says he is yet to decide whether he will appeal against the Football Association charge given to him earlier this week.
The Spaniard was charged over his post-match comments in the wake of this month's 4-0 defeat to Manchester United at Old Trafford.
Martinez was unhappy with referee Michael Oliver's decision to award United a first-half penalty after Danny Welbeck tangled with goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi, while the official's failure to punish a late Welbeck tackle with a red card also annoyed the boss.
He said after the game: "I have come to United three times before and for whatever reason we don't seem to be measured in the same manner as the team at home.
"In many ways, you feel as though you are fighting against a mountain. There were tackles flying around that if they had been the other way round there would have been a couple of red cards."
Martinez says he is still considering whether he will appeal and believes his comments may have been taken out of context.
The manager said: "At the moment it's too early. I need to look into it because obviously I never questioned the integrity of the referee.
"I don't really know which comments are the ones for the charge.
"I need to find out first what the quotes or the lines are that have been charged. I can understand that sometimes you can take things out of context.
"But I'll look into it and we'll take it from there. I think it's too early for me to be able to comment at this stage."
He added: "The charge must be based on certain quotes. I feel it will be a good opportunity to explain myself.
"I was rational, it wasn't an emotional outburst, I think it was a very rational comment and it's something that I would like to explain."
The manager, who faces a fine if he is found guilty, has until 4pm on Thursday to respond to the charge.