Fresh Neymar talk denied
Santos remain insistent over striker
By Paulo Freitas. Last Updated: September 26, 2012 9:16pm
Neymar: Continually linked with Spanish move
Santos president Luis Alvaro de Oliveira Ribeiro has rubbished fresh reports in Spain that Neymar has agreed a deal to join Barcelona.
Neymar is constantly linked with a move to Spain with both Barcelona and Real Madrid manoeuvring for his signature.
The 20-year-old is widely regarded as the best young player in the world, but he has committed his future to Santos with a new long-term deal he signed last year.
Neymar has long stated he will not move until after the World Cup finals which are hosted in Brazil in 2014 - but this has not stopped speculation, with the most recent reports claiming he had already agreed a deal with Barca.
But Ribeiro insists not such deal is done and he told Radio Estadao ESPN: "Neymar is happy, he is playing well and more importantly, he is paid very well. Let's see if he stays [after 2014].
When asked about having kept contacts with both Barcelona and Real Madrid, Ribeiro said: "That means nothing, there is nothing denied yet and we will fight to keep Neymar.
"People have to convince themselves that Neymar will stay and that will happen for an obvious reason: if he stays until the end of his contract, any money involved in an eventual negotiation will be Neymar's. If Santos sell him before that, Santos will get that money.
"Santos don't need to sell players. Our cash flow doesn't include money from selling players. Santos are a club and as such have the objective of winning titles. And Neymar is the player that gives us more chances of achieving that."
Ribeiro insists his club are as well off as any club in Europe.
"This is another aspect that isn't being taken into account.
"The economic situation of the European clubs is bad, they don't have money.
"If it wasn't for the Russians and Arabs, their situation would be even worse. Only the German clubs have a stable situation."