Michael Owen believes he is ready to make his Stoke City bow against Manchester City on Saturday, but admits he is not '100 per cent happy' with his overall condition.
Tony Pulis' side completed the signing of the former England international, a free agent after his release over the summer by Manchester United, last week on a one-year deal.
The 32-year-old has had been hampered by injury problems on a number of occasions his career and only played four times in 2011-12, with his last first-team appearance for United coming in November.
Owen is keen to make his return to action as soon as possible and says he is in good enough shape to do so, although knows the decision about Saturday's match lies with Pulis.
Speaking on Thursday morning at a press conference where he was officially unveiled to the media, Owen said: "I'm not sure what the manager has got in store.
"I feel as if I am fit enough to take part in a game. I'm not quite 100 per cent confident or happy in my general touch and different bits and bobs, but that will come.
"So we'll see what the manager has got in mind, but I'd like to think I'll improve as the weeks go on."
Pulis was keeping an open mind on the matter, but said he was pleased with what Owen had demonstrated so far after a lengthy absence from first-team football.
"From what the lads say, he has come back a lot fitter than what we thought he would," Pulis said.
"He needs a lot more work with the ball and being in small-sided games for his sharpness, but we are pleased with the way he has come back."
Asked if he felt he could use Owen straight away in a game, Pulis said: "It is too early to say yet. We have got two more days."