Heitinga waiting for chance
Defender still feels wanted as Everton blocked summer move
By Gerrit van Leeuwen. Last Updated: September 3, 2012 4:41pm
John Heitinga: Knows he must get through tough phase and wait for chance
John Heitinga admits he just has to wait for his chance at Everton after being left out of the starting line-up so far this season.
The Holland international came on as a late substitute in the final moments of the wins against Manchester United and Aston Villa before failing to see action in Saturday's defeat at West Brom.
It is a disappointing start to the campaign for the defender after being named as the Toffees' player of the year last season.
The 28-year-old believes the situation is not ideal but sympathises with manager David Moyes and insists he still feels wanted at Goodison Park.
"I have had better days and I feel happier to be with the Dutch national team," he told Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf.
"This is apparently the tough phase I have to get through every year.
"In the previous two seasons I also barely played in the first games but quickly I became a starter and last year even player of the season.
"Even now I expect a starting position soon. Moyes had a decision to make. And I understand he wouldn't change (the team) after the wins over Manchester United and Aston Villa.
"But the Everton board blocked transfers to Fenerbahce and more recently Fiorentina and that says everything for me."
Heitinga joined Everton from Atletico Madrid in the summer of 2009.